If you’re wearing white right, no one will know what’s underneath. We shouldn’t see your booty, your undies, the pockets in your pants.
Even though we wear notoriously little when we’re beaching it or lounging pool side, that’s no excuse to treat what we wear as an afterthought.
Beach style varies depending on where you are. Palm Beach is known for classic Grande dames and heiresses in training, Miami is all skimpy, glitzy, Euro-glam, and in St. Tropez, it’s all about the right uber expensive beachwear, casually tossed beside naked bodies on the beach. Every watering hole has it’s own fashion ethos. The less we wear, the more style matters.
We gathered some of our favorite pieces for lounging in style whether you’re poolside or on a tropical beach.
Don’t go all gaga and think this is a license to tan. Sunbathing has nothing to do with looking like a goddess, for that, it’s all about attitude. Take cover under a fabulous umbrella and a glamorous hat. And don’t forget to wear sunscreen!
1. Pucci inspired Beach cover up by Echo Design, Zappos, $98.
2. Blue Quartz Ring, Env Jewelry, $85.
3. Turquoise Straw Hat, Point Loma Swinger, Village Hat Shop, $28.
4. Color Block Tankini by Inches Off, Top $38.
5. Big Budda Black & White Mission Bag, Zappos, $70.
6. Black Miraclesuit, Pearl Javelin, $158.
7. Roxy Plastic Watch, Endless.com, $50.
8. Woman Within, Plus Size, Tankini Bottom, $19.
9. Woman Within, Side Tie Sarong Suit, Penbrooke, $70
11. Village Hat Shop, Striped Beach Hat, $25.
12. Miraclesuit, Ruched Red Tummy Control Suit, Macy’s.com. $128.
13. Palio Red & Orange Beach Bag, Beachstore.com, $35.
14. Pucci inspired Beach cover up by Echo Design, Zappos, $98.
15. Fuchsia & Orange Reed with Rope Handle Woven Tote, $24.
16. Houston Enamel Bangle Watch, $20.
17. Striped Portable Beach Umbrella, Amazon.com, $50.
When the temperature rises, white can at least keep you looking cool. It reflects light which is why it’s a tropical favorite, and why sweating is less noticeable.
It’s light reflecting properties make white less forgiving than darker colors. Here are 10 tricks on how to wear white flawlessly.
Wear White With Style: Continued From Part 1
Beware of the White-Out. White on white is fine, and you can mix your shades of white, but cut the glare and wear colored shoes, bags, and accessories. Even the bride wears something blue.
Check the grin-through. This is the term for when the pockets or lining of white garments show through. It may solve the problem to just have the pockets removed, but first make sure the garment is not too see-through
Don’t wearing white to a wedding. It’s the brides color and it’s her prerogative to invite others to wear it, (the bridal party for instance). A white blouse is OK if it’s worn with a colored suit.
Don’t wear white underwear. It’ll shine through like a beacon. Wear nude or flesh colored, the closer the color of your underwear is to your skin tone the more it will disappear.
NEVER wear white hose. Even nurses don’t so it anymore. If you’re under 5 you get a pass on this one. If you’re a bride…maybe.
1. Calvin Klein linen shirt jacket, $70.
2. Turquoise Cat Eye Sunglasses, $16.
3. Calvin Klein sheer cotton boyfriend shirt, $50.
4. Stripe Canvas Tote, $38.
5. Chico’s Stretch Belt.
6. Ann Taylor, white cotton trousers, $98.
7. White loafers, Bass, $98.
8. White dress, Chico’s, $99.
2. J.Crew, Fedora, $58.
3. Fossil Stella Watch, $79.
4. Talbots Linen Skirt, $99.
5. Archie Canvas Messenger Bag, Zappos, $89.
6. Talbots White Roll-up pants, $79.
7. Eileen Fisher belt, $128.
8. Nine West bold yellow kitten heels, &79.
9. Dooney & Burke white tote, $238.
10.Pour La Victoire, thong sandal, $182.
Some want to be noticed without being seen. Some want to be noticed and seen. Others want to be on stage 24/7. While some truly fascinate us, we wish others would grow up or go away or both. Here’s some fashion over 40 that’s pure entertainment.