Confidence is Sexier Than a Push-up Bra! Clothes, jewels, cars, and cash are lovely, but self-confidence is the ultimate accessory. It can’t be bought, but it can be had.
Most of us fall somewhere in between 24/7 social divas and lonely wallflowers. Even the most self assured appreciate boosts to their self-esteem.
People are drawn to those who project confidence. It doesn’t take much to make a big difference.
Here are 10 quick tips to build self confidence:
- Don’t apologize. Unless you’ve done something bad. Try NOT saying “I’m sorry” for 24 hours. People who say it with regularity usually convey insecurity.
- Make a decision and go with it. Over-analyzing every potential choice or outcome can paralyze you.
- Imagine success. Experts say that being able to picture ourselves completing a task successfully makes us more likely to actually do it.
- Straighten up. According to a recent study at Ohio University, hunching over makes us less likely to think positive thoughts about ourselves.
- Don’t over re-act to mistakes. We are our own worst critics. Our gaffes are far worse in our minds than in anyone else’s. Besides, people can be pretty forgiving.
- Assume people like you. Most of them probably do anyway, and it makes it easier to socialize.
- Talk to strangers wherever you go. It’ll make you feel good about yourself, and it’s a great way to hone your social skills.
- Don’t compare yourself to anyone else. It’s a downer. We don’t need to be the most beautiful, the richest or the best dressed. We just need to be our sparkling selves.
- Take a compliment. When someone offers praise accept it graciously. No arguing and no unnecessarily false humility.
- Make eye contact. It’s a habit of confident people.