September is National Menopause Awareness Month. For years, menopause was considered a private event. Women soldiered through the “the change” with little sympathy, scant information, and even less medical treatment.
It’s HOT in Here!
“I’ve lost my mind and my waistline, I’m depressed, bloated, and have at least 10 hot flashes a day. Other than that things are just ducky around here…” – Anonymous (post-menopausal Flashionista reader)
So the fact that Menopause now has its own month is a big deal and a tribute to:
- The huge number of women currently coping with some phase of it.
- Numerous studies in the last couple of decades that have helped to demystify it.
- The availability of options from modern medicine to alternative treatments to ease symptoms.
Less than 4 months before her wedding, at 47, Staness Jonekos thought she was losing it. She scheduled an emergency appointment with her doctor and was stunned by the diagnosis. Without warning she was right in the midst of menopause and its attendant weight gain, mood swings, depression and crankiness.
Jonekos set out to discover what she needed to know to manage menopause, and with Dr. Wendy Klein, put it all together in Menopause Makeover, an 8-step program and survival guide to before, during, and after the big event. We can’t stop it, but there are many things we can do to alleviate, and reduce uncomfortable symptoms.
Menopause Makeover covers:
- When and why to consider hormone therapy?
- Which hormone therapy, if any, is right for you?
- How to battle the menopause belly bulge and win?
- How to find your lost libido, regain your healthy glow, and manage the stress menopause creates.