Archive for the Blog Category
Can Six Words Change Your Life?
Yes! If They’re The Right Words.
How About Food. Loot. Friends. Wine.
Oh Yes! Now We’re Onto Something!
Mark Your Calendars HAPPY HOUR WEEKEND
November. 27. 28. 29. All Day
Sip. Shop. Get. Discounts. And. GWPs.
Yes! Gifts. With. All. Jewelry. Purchases.
Wade Maxx Gallery. See address below.
HAPPY THANKSGIVING. Eat your dessert first
Name: Mary Marino-Slous
Where do you live? Montclair
When did you move there? Six years ago. From Brooklyn. I met a great guy. We got married. My first marriage! We tried living together in Brooklyn but the commute was tough. He’s an attorney in Montclair. I made the big sacrifice. It came with a garage, LOTS of closet space and a back yard. I miss a lot of things about Brooklyn but I LOVE a lot of things about Montclair.
Where did you grow up? West Virginia. When I first moved here lots of people didn’t even know it was a state. They would ask me if it was near Virginia Beach. Over the last 10 years it’s better known. It’s all mountains and coal mines. And Italians. Yes. Lots of them. My people! Love it. Miss it. I visit often BUT I’ve been destined to be a city girl since I was three. READ More
My wardrobe is a sea of black, white and greys, but my jewelry room is an explosion of color. The room (aka Hodge Podge Lodge) is a nook about 5 X 4 feet filled with jewels in trays, vintage handbags, leather boxes, and drawers. My clothes are merely a backdrop for dramatic bags, shoes, and as much jewelry as I can layer on.
2. What’s someone’s stream of consciousness to me?
I’m not drawn to poetry. I can’t seem to tap into enough angst to coax meaning out of another’s stream of consciousness. Now that I’ve said what I’m not, Robert Frost breaks through this with words I learned in my first decade and still recall when the anxiety of choosing a path needs an antidote. Click HERE to read the words.
3. What’s wrong with Obsession?
With perfume there’s a fine line between magnificent and migraine inducing. I once worked with a woman who doused herself in Obsession. You smelled her coming from across the street. I became obsessed with my repugnance of Obsession.
Jo Malone has figured out the distinction between exquisite and overdone which is important when it comes to how one smells. Orange Blossom is swoon inducing but you almost can’t go wrong with any Jo Malone selection.
With smell, less is more. Thankfully, not so with jewels!
She was said to be shrewd, calculating and a great beauty as well. BUT her enduring legend is her ability to use her wit and charm to facilitate powerful political and personal connections.
Cleopatra VII Philopator was the last Pharaoh of Ancient Egypt. She married BOTH of her brothers, Ptolemy XIII and Ptolemy XIV. Her parents were also siblings. They did things differently then.
She co-ruled with her brothers until she learned they were conspiring to overthrow her and successfully turned the tables to emerge the sole ruler. At the same time she dissolved her marriage contracts, started amassing her own fortune, and forged impressive liaisons with other powerful leaders.
If Cleopatra were writing her top 5 tips for success, they might look like this:
- Learn to work with what you’ve got, beauty, brains, wit, charm, motivation: you don’t need them all, a couple will do nicely. It’s how you USE them that counts.
- Mix business with pleasure, especially if you enjoy both. If you don’t enjoy both then start now to make some positive changes in that direction.
- Dress for success. If you don’t have time to swath yourself in silk, put some decent jewelry on. If the jewels are BIG enough, no one will notice your old khakis!
- Know who’s on your side and who’s out to grab your throne. A girl NEEDS allies she can trust.
- LOVE big but don’t let it blind you, inhibit you, or throw you off your path.
If I hit the jackpot, I’d still do what I do; I’d just hire more help! When you’re already in the business you love, why do anything else?
New Jersey had 3 big winners recently. Two were individuals and one winning ticket was a group of employees from the Ocean County Vehicle Maintenance Department in Toms River, NJ.
NJ already had lots of millionaire’s. Now it has even more!
I’m not one. Here’s what makes me rich:
- A brilliant husband who adores me.
- Two sisters I can’t wait to be with and always hate to leave.
- Nieces & Nephews: BIG fun, lots of laughs, texts, and phone calls. Taking them to “hang out in Times Square” never feels like penance…
- Enough good girlfriends to make a pretty fabulous party. Some of these relationships go back to pre-school!
- A great home
- A healthy body
- Most of my marbles
- A good sense of humor
- Enough jewelry to fill a room
The room is named Hodge Podge Lodge. Here are a couple of photos of a corner of it. The rest is not ready for prime time viewing (…the truth is I can’t go public with the breadth of my addiction). To me it’s ALL fabulous. None of it is in a safety deposit box, which is a testament to its worthlessness, but NOT its pricelessness…