We LOVE Twitter, for a lot of reasons. Once you learn to navigate Twitter Territory you realize it’s a wealth of endless possibilities.
A friend, who works in customer service at a big cosmetics company, said they refer to spring as “orange bride season.” That’s a testament to the fact that it usually takes some experimenting to find the right self-tanner.
Pantyhose are definitely NOT a style statement, especially in the summer, and the only time we really cared about not being tanned was when we needed some color on our legs.
Remember Magda, Mary’s lovable leather-skinned best friend in There’s Something About Mary? She was a cartoonish reminder of the outré esthetic that kept us baking in the sun slathered with baby oil and iodine, Magda was a holdout for the days when a gal could never be too tanned.
Fast forward a few decades and thousands of hours of research, and the whole idea of sunbathing on purpose is right up there with a self-inflicted stabbing. It was fun while it lasted but now it’s time to learn to love the skin we’re in.
Even though we wear notoriously little when we’re beaching it or lounging pool side, that’s no excuse to treat what we wear as an afterthought.
Beach style varies depending on where you are. Palm Beach is known for classic Grande dames and heiresses in training, Miami is all skimpy, glitzy, Euro-glam, and in St. Tropez, it’s all about the right uber expensive beachwear, casually tossed beside naked bodies on the beach. Every watering hole has it’s own fashion ethos. The less we wear, the more style matters.
We gathered some of our favorite pieces for lounging in style whether you’re poolside or on a tropical beach.
Don’t go all gaga and think this is a license to tan. Sunbathing has nothing to do with looking like a goddess, for that, it’s all about attitude. Take cover under a fabulous umbrella and a glamorous hat. And don’t forget to wear sunscreen!
1. Pucci inspired Beach cover up by Echo Design, Zappos, $98.
2. Blue Quartz Ring, Env Jewelry, $85.
3. Turquoise Straw Hat, Point Loma Swinger, Village Hat Shop, $28.
4. Color Block Tankini by Inches Off, Top $38.
5. Big Budda Black & White Mission Bag, Zappos, $70.
6. Black Miraclesuit, Pearl Javelin, $158.
7. Roxy Plastic Watch, Endless.com, $50.
8. Woman Within, Plus Size, Tankini Bottom, $19.
9. Woman Within, Side Tie Sarong Suit, Penbrooke, $70
11. Village Hat Shop, Striped Beach Hat, $25.
12. Miraclesuit, Ruched Red Tummy Control Suit, Macy’s.com. $128.
13. Palio Red & Orange Beach Bag, Beachstore.com, $35.
14. Pucci inspired Beach cover up by Echo Design, Zappos, $98.
15. Fuchsia & Orange Reed with Rope Handle Woven Tote, $24.
16. Houston Enamel Bangle Watch, $20.
17. Striped Portable Beach Umbrella, Amazon.com, $50.
It’s OK to retain a little mystery. We don’t have to share our life stories with every stranger we meet. Once a mystery is solved, it no longer holds our attention. A little mystery is sexy.